Memory foam mattresses have gained a huge following among sleepers of all kinds. They hug your body and adjust to its cuts and curves. The best sleep you can have on one is always the next one. Some people have even credited them for changing their lives.
Buying a mattress can be a formidable task even for the most seasoned of sleepers. After all, a good night’s sleep is extremely important. Luckily for you, we have a mattress guide to some of the best memory foam mattresses in the market right here.
Best Memory Foam Mattresses in Australia
Here are our picks for the best memory foam mattresses:
- Ecosa G-7
- Ergoflex 5G
- Hugo Sleep
Let’s get into some details about these products:
1. Ecosa G-7
The Ecosa G-7 mattress is, hands-down, one of the best entries on this list of best memory foam mattresses. It is a multi-layered, all-foam mattress with customizable firmness. Moreover, it gives you a cool and dry sleep, something foam mattresses are not known for. Its structure consists of the following layers:
- G-7 gel memory foam: It consists of memory foam infused with gel particles. This gives the sleeper a cool feel that this Ecosa mattress is known for.
- Eco-TEX open-cell foam: This layer has a latex-like bounce to it. Moreover, the open-cell design promotes airflow that leads to a cooler mattress surface.
- Ergonomic support foam: This thick layer of memory foam provides contouring to your body and maintains spinal alignment
- Micro-filament protector: This layer keeps the mattress free of fungus, dust, and mites.
- Polyester cover: The soft cover is removable and washable.
The firmness can be adjusted to your liking by swapping the foam layers. It remains at medium with the gel foam at the top and Eco-TEX foam underneath it. If you put the Eco-Tex foam at the top and the gel foam in the middle, you get a medium-firm feel. Finally, to sleep on a firm surface, you simply have to turn the mattress over (this means that the thick support foam takes the top position).
Thanks to the adjustable firmness, it is a great choice for all kinds of sleepers. Its firmness has made it popular among those who yearn for pain relief too. Moreover, couples love it for its motion isolation. Finally, the cooling technology makes it an enviable option for hotter climates. One little downer is its lack of edge support. Some heavier sleepers also tend to complain about it. All in all, it is a great choice for a broad range of buyers out there, go for it!
- Price: $899 (Queen, on sale)
- Warranty: 15 years
- Trial period: 100 nights
The Koala memory mattress is a unique combination of comfort, support, and breathability. Its mattress-in-a-box concept has transformed the way people buy mattresses and made it a household name. All of these qualities make it a premium choice on our list of best memory foam mattresses. Let’s have a look at its simple, yet effective, design:
- Cover: This moisture-absorbing cover feels like a part of the mattress itself. It is also removable and washable.
- Kloudcell comfort foam: This special layer was designed by Koala itself, just for you. Its open-cell technology combines improved airflow with pressure relief as memory foam injected with Cooling Spinal Gel. With its different inverted design, it makes airflow much easier and makes the sleep 3 times cooler.
- Base Ecofoam layer: This layer contains a firmer foam for bearing weight and providing spinal support.
The medium firmness is enjoyed by side and back sleepers. The Kloudcell layer is a huge plus for hot sleepers and hotter climates. Moreover, motion isolation makes it an exquisite option for couples. Similarly, it has turned the lives of many with chronic back pain around. Nevertheless, it isn’t a favorite for the stomach sleepers. Heavier individuals also tend to struggle with it. The lack of adjustable firmness is also a complaint of choosy sleepers.
- Price: $1050 (Queen)
- Warranty: 10 years
- Free trial: 120 nights
3. Ergoflex 5G
This multilayer, all-foam, and the eco-friendly mattress is known for its pressure relief. It has also made hot summer nights much more bearable for its customers. It is an attractive blend of support and comfort. Let’s look inside to see what makes it one of the best memory foam mattresses:
- Tencel cover: This cover gives the sleepers a luxurious and plush feel. It is soft and breathable. Only materials of superior quality and eco-friendly nature are used for it. Moreover, an inner micro-fine cover protects the whole mattress core.
- Visco-elastic memory foam: This layer consists of memory foam that provides great contouring to your body. It also gives you pressure-relieving support.
- Cool-Sleep airflow layer: This layer, right in the middle of the mattress is responsible for airflow and keeping the surface cool. It ensures temperature regulation without breaking a sweat.
- Foundation base layer: The lowest layer serves as a solid foundation for the mattress. It is very resilient to impact and gives strength to the whole structure. Moreover, it withstands all the pressure and weight of the sleeper.
It has a medium-firm feel to it. This is the most popular firmness setting and works well for both back and side sleepers. Moreover, thanks to its motion isolation, it is among the best options for couples. Its superior material quality and eco-friendliness make it a great option for those worried about the planet’s health. Insufficient edge support and heaviness are the only concerns.
- Price: $1049.30 (Queen, on sale)
- Warranty: 10 years
- Trial period: 30 nights.
4. Hugo Sleep
Credit: Hugo Sleep
The Hugo Sleep mattress is among the top-rated mattresses in the market. In a short period of time, it has carved out for itself a dedicated and diverse following and a reputation for reliability. Let’s see what makes this memory foam mattress so special:
- Cover: It is responsible for airflow and moisture absorption.
- Top latex layer: The top layer contains latex. It adds nice responsiveness and bounce to the overall feel. It also supports the spine like no other material. Similarly, its hypoallergenic nature is great for sensitive individuals. That it is natural is another added plus.
- Comfort memory foam: Together with the latex layer above it, it plays a pivotal role in creating the medium-firm feel of the mattress. It provides pressure relief and spinal support. Moreover, it has the capacity to adjust to your changing sleeping positions during the night.
- Transition foam: This layer, as the name suggests, serves as a transition between the softer comfort layers above it and the thicker support layer beneath it. It also provides pressure relief.
- High-density support layer: This high-density foam gives support to the mattress core and provides spinal support. It also adds to the durability of the mattress.
Credit: Hugo Sleep
As it is a medium-firm mattress, it is preferred by side and back sleepers. Nevertheless, its contouring and comfort are enjoyed by a variety of sleepers. Couples also like it for its motion isolation. The affordable price tag makes it a go-to mattress for people on a limited budget. Regardless, stomach sleepers and heavier individuals are better off looking for another lie. Similarly, hot sleepers should also prefer cooler alternatives.
- Price: $995 (Queen)
- Warranty: 10 years
- Free trial: 90 nights
The Sommuto mattress is designed for comfort, support, durability, and firmness. This makes it one of the best memory foam mattresses. Its multi-layer structure ensures that you get your best sleep ever. Moreover, it suits a variety of sleepers too. Let’s look into how it gives its buyers superior comfort and support:
- TempRight fabric cover: This purposefully designed mattress cover regulates surface temperature. Its Thermatex technology allows it to absorb and release heat according to how hot or cold you are sleeping.
- Gel-infused memory foam: This memory foam layer is infused with a cooling gel that sucks up all the heat. Moreover, it conforms to body shape and provides pressure relief.
- Comfort foam layer: This layer also provides contouring and heat release.
- High-density support layer: As with other mattresses, this base layer provides basic structural support and bears the weight of the sleeper. However, unlike other mattresses, it also allows airflow through its textured surface.
It works for all kinds of sleepers. However, people looking specifically for that contouring feel will find that Sommuto mattress hits the sweet spot for them. It is also great for people living in steamy climates and those of an environmentally-conscious bearing. The only drawback is the lack of edge support.
- Price: $949 (Queen)
- Warranty: 10 years
- Free trial: 100 nights
The Casper mattress is the best mattress-in-a-box mattress in this list of memory foam mattresses. Even though there are mattresses for all kinds of sleepers, it is rare to find one that works for almost all of them. The Casper mattress is one such mattress. Let’s take a look at its design:
- Open-cell memory foam: This layer combines the quintessential memory foam bounce with a cool feel. As a result, you don’t wake up feeling as if you have been in a sauna all night.
- Responsive memory foam: This layer provides your body with contouring. The surface cradles you to give you a good night’s sleep. These features are great for side sleepers. However, it also does not compromise on the support that is needed by back and stomach sleepers.
- Zoned Support layer: This transition foam is unique in its function. It is firmer under your back and hips while softer around the shoulders. The spine is kept aligned and the weight distributed.
- Base layer: This support layer both hold up the mattress and stabilizes the sleeper. Moreover, it prevents excessive sagging.
The Casper mattress is a great choice for all kinds of sleepers. Even though it has a medium-firm feel, it works just fine for heavier and stomach sleepers. It is also an excellent mattress for hot sleepers and couples. Nevertheless, some stomach sleepers may not consider it to be the best option for them.
- Price: $1095
- Warranty: 10-year limited warranty
- Free trial: 100 nights
Criteria for Selection
If you are out shopping for a mattress, it is always better to make an informed choice. You should consider the following when buying a memory foam mattress:
1. Type of foam
There are three types of foam mattresses available; traditional, gel, and AirCool. The traditional variety is supportive, provides pressure relief, and improves circulation. The AirCool foam, as the name suggests, keeps things cool by reducing heat retention. The dense gel foam is much more supportive and props you up.
2. Foam density
There are high, medium, and low-density memory foam mattresses. The best one for you depends on your requirements. If you’re looking for durability, the high-density foam is for you. For couples looking for minimal partner disturbance, the medium-density foam works best. If you want to quickly break your new lie-in, go straight for low-density memory foam.
3. Sleeping position
Your sleeping position should play a big part in your selection. Side sleepers prefer softer and thicker mattresses, stomach sleepers like firmer surfaces and back sleepers fall somewhere in between both.
4. Hot sleeping
Some people wake up multiple times in a night drenched in sweat. These people also have a tough time during the summers. Such people are known as hot sleepers. If you are one of them, go for either gel or AirCool foam mattress. Both of them are much more effective at heat dissipation than the traditional foam mattress that sleeps hot.
Memory foam mattresses can vary in thickness from 15-35cm. It is important to remember that the thicker a mattress is, the softer it will be. In a mattress structure, the base foam provides most of the support. The additional layers add to the thickness which leads to softness. Hence, if you prefer a soft mattress (like for side sleepers), the thick mattresses are just for you. However, if a firmer surface appeals to you (like for stomach sleepers), a thin mattress may be much more suitable.
Do Memory Foam Mattresses Last Long?
Memory foam mattresses can be expected to last just as long as any other types of mattresses e.g. innerspring mattresses. They provide consistent support and comfort for, on average, 8-10 years. However, high-density foam mattresses can last even longer than that. Furthermore, taking care of your mattress, such as by flipping it over periodically, can prolong its life.
Do Memory Foam Mattresses Smell?
Yes, memory foam mattresses frequently have a temporary odor. This smell is due to the ”off-gassing” phase that is also associated with dry cleaning and fresh paint. The important thing is that this is non-toxic and temporary. It usually goes away within 3 days.
Let’s have a look at some of the most popular questions regarding memory foam mattresses:
What is the best memory foam mattress?
The Ecosa G-7 mattress, by far, is the best memory foam mattress. Its multi-layered breathable structure works well for a variety of sleepers. The lifetime warranty, considerable trial period, and affordable price make it even more attractive for buyers.
Is a memory foam mattress good?
Like any other mattress type, memory foam mattresses have their pros and cons. On the bright side, they provide great support and spinal alignment associated with pain relief. Their durability and low maintenance costs are a great benefit for people with a limited budget. Moreover, for couples, low motion transfer is a sought-after feature. The downsides include a heftier price tag and heat accumulation (which isn’t so sweet for hot sleepers).
What are the disadvantages of memory foam mattresses?
Although memory foams mattresses are a great choice for most sleepers, they have some persistent complaints made about them. The biggest one is that they sleep too hot and can be uncomfortable for hot sleepers who might wake up as if they have just come back from a swim. Similarly, many buyers complain of a relatively bigger price tag. Some have even complained about sagging and dips, saying that the bounce just isn’t the same.
How long do memory foam mattresses last?
Memory foam mattresses can be expected to last just as long as other mattress types. On average, a memory foam mattress lasts for 8-10 years. However, it can last even longer if it is taken care of. Flipping your mattresses periodically distributes wear and tear equally. Moreover, you can also buy a high-density foam that lasts much longer.
What is the best memory foam mattress for back pain?
The Koala mattress is a good memory foam mattress for back pain and pressure relief. It has an especially designed Kloudcell comfort foam that aids in joint recovery, improves circulation, and increases tissue oxygenation. Furthermore, it also contains a cooling spinal gel and a base ecofoam layer, both of which are designed to reduce pressure on the back and offer premium back support.
Do you flip a memory foam mattress?
Yes, the memory foam mattresses should be flipped 180° head-to-foot after every few months. This distributes wear and tear and prolongs its life.
All in all, memory foam mattresses are a solid investment for all kinds of sleepers. You will not regret buying any one of the memory foam mattresses on this list. On the contrary, and true to their name, they will give you many memories to cherish for a lifetime.
Just remember that buying the best memory foam mattress doesn’t necessarily mean buying the cheapest or the most expensive one out there. You should try keeping your requirements in mind whenever purchasing one for yourself. Overall, we think our top picks would suit most people who are looking for nice memory foam.